Located between Positano and Conca dei Marini , the ancient Plagianum ( from the greek ” open sea ” ) is made up of a colorful and intricate maze of narrow streets, alleys , steps that extricating itself from the typical houses in the quicklime in pastel colors and with flowered balconies , terraces of lemons and shrines , lead to the sea. From here you can enjoy one of the most fascinating and romantic hideaways in the Amalfi Coast: the vast expanse of the sea and on the right, the lights and the bay of Positano, the islands of Li Galli , the promontory of Sorrento Peninsula up Punta Campanella and, ultimately , Capri with its stacks . Who said that the sunsets in Praiano are among the most romantic ever, did not lie !
Fishing village until a few years ago , Praiano has managed to preserve its soul most authentic and genuine, not letting infected by mass tourism and providing , thus , quiet and relaxing atmosphere . Hard-working people , the praianesi since 1300-1400 were devoted to the processing of flax , fishing for coral ( the coral were recognizable because they wore an earring to the lobe , according to an ancient tradition Saracen ) , the packaging of hair nets, the pickled anchovies and to weave palm trees during the Easter period.
There are numerous attractions from the point of view of historical-architectural and naturalistic :
– The Church of St. Luke the Evangelist , in Baroque style and the interior is decorated with a beautiful tiled floor decorated with floral motifs and in the center , the image of the patron saint in the act of painting. The original structure dates back to the thirteenth century. Interesting are also the silver bust of the saint ( 1694 ) and two panel paintings ( ” The Circumcision ” by Giovan Bernardo Lama and the “Madonna of the Rosary” by Padovano De Montorio) .
– The Church of San Gennaro, in the village of Vettica Maggiore, in the Renaissance style with three naves and dome covered with majolica tiles . It was built in the sixteenth century on the ruins of an existing building dating back to the thirteenth century and dedicated to the same saint. Inside there are the paintings of “The Annunciation” ( 1696 ) , “The Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew ” ( 1747 ) by Giambattista Lama and the ” Holy Family” (late sixteenth century) .
– The Church of Santa Maria a Castro with the adjoining convent of San Domenico, located on the slopes of Mount Sant’Angelo a Tre Pizzi , 360 meters above sea level. Mentioned for the first time in 1599 , in the fifteenth century church is venerated image of the Madonna delle Grazie .
– The Church of St. John the Baptist , in the center of the country, dating from the eleventh – twelfth century. Inside is a beautiful terracotta tiled floor and a pipe organ , both of the Neapolitan school .
– The Chapel of St. Thomas , with a single nave covered with a barrel vault . Inside is an eighteenth-century wooden crucifix of the Neapolitan school and a sixteenth-century altarpiece depicting the Madonna and Child with St. Thomas.
– The Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria , close to Torre a Mare ;
– The Chapel of St. Nicholas, with an eighteenth-century organ of the Neapolitan school and a painting of the saint ;
– The Church of Our Lady of Constantinople ;
– The remains of the Church of San Costanzo ;
– Numerous shrines, built with the typical ” riggiole ” majolica , reflecting the fervent faith of praianesi ;
– The watch towers Saracen raids , part of the defensive system of the Amalfi Coast ;
– Marina di Praia, a fjord inlet between two high rock walls , bordering the wild shores of Furore. Guarding the beach, on the headland, applies the Torre a Mare, of medieval origin, which is reached through the picturesque cliff walk of Praia, on the surface of water.
– Cala della Gavitella , the only beach on the Amalfi Coast illuminated by the sun until sunset. On the cliff rises the Torre del Grado, built during the Spanish Viceroy .