Place of residence of the noble Romans , as evidenced by the archaeological discovery of the villa of the first century , Minori , the ancient ” Reghinna Minor ” (to distinguish it from nearby ” Reghinna Major ,” the current Maiori) , like all the other towns of the Amalfi Coast, followed the fortunes of the Maritime Republic of Amalfi and was a bishopric from 987. Over the centuries, the waters of the river Reginna encouraged the emergence of thriving , such as mills and paper mills.
The town developed along the valley , with numerous villages that cling along the ridges of the surrounding hills , from which mainly cultivated with lemons and grapes , you can enjoy a unique view. Minor has just earned the title of “City of Taste” : since the sixteenth century, in fact , the inhabitants devoted themselves to the processing of pasta the grain imported from Salerno , in recent years , thanks to the genuineness of agricultural products and the ‘ exceptional creativity of local artisans , not only was boosted the production of pasta by hand, but have been devised various liqueurs ( limoncello , mandarin, wild strawberries , fennel ) and sweets, in short, have become established at national level. During the food and wine event ” Gusta Minori ” , which is held in the first weeks of September , you can not only taste typical specialties of Minori attend theatrical theme .
Pearl of the Amalfi Coast , rich in history and architectural treasures and natural , there are many sites of interest that can inspire awe and admiration of those that visit them :
– The Maritime archaeological Villa (first century AD ) , a splendid example of construction of the Roman era , discovered in 1932 still has traces delperistilium of viridarium , the suspensurae of a heated room and some mosaics. Inside is Antiquarium that exposes most of the finds from the Roman period found both here and in neighboring countries , as well as artifacts found underwater in the surrounding water .
– The Basilica of Santa Trofimena , in late XVIII century style , was built on an existing temple, which houses the crypt . And ‘ flanked by a square bell tower in Neoclassical style. The structure is divided into three naves and houses valuable paintings and sculptures , as well as an altarpiece depicting the Crucifixion of Marco Pino da Siena (XVI century ), and the bishop’s throne marble canopy. In an urn of alabaster are the remains of Santa Trofimena , Sicilian martyr , who , according to tradition , were found on the beach at Minori between the sixth and seventh centuries ;
– The Campanile (XI century ) , in the homonymous district , located about 150 meters above sea level, surrounded by vineyards and lemon groves , in Arab-Norman style , it is the last witness of the Church of the Annunciation , demolished in 1950 because of its dilapidated condition. From the ruins of the church to recognize the two apses and the remains of a fresco of St. Michael.
– The Convent and Church of St. Nicholas ( XI century), situated on Monte Forcella, founded by the Augustinians in 1628 ;
– The Church of Saints Gennaro and Giuliano, in the Villamena , in Baroque style. The portal is surmounted by a medallion painted , markedly representing the Madonna . E ‘ divided into three naves with eight pillars and in the last two huddles the central altar .
– The Church of Our Lady of the Rosary , communicating with the Church of Saints Gennaro and Giuliano , in Baroque style with a single nave covered by a barrel vault on which it is mentioned and coffered ceiling ;
– The Church of St. John the Baptist Piezulo, medieval , built by the family Brancia of Amalfi in 1420. In ancient times overlooked the main square , and today , however, is surrounded by a complex that just makes visible the entrance portal .
– The Church of Saint Lucia , dating from the tenth century, with baroque altar , choir stalls and the tomb of the founder, Giovanni Simone Palumbo , in white marble with marble decorations .
– The Church and the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament , adjacent to the Basilica of Santa Trofimena , whose origins date back to the medieval period ;
– The Church of St. Michael the Archangel, in the Tower ;
– Paradise Tower , the Viceroy era , now located along the SS 163 ” Coast ” , was part of the defensive system of the Amalfi Coast ;
– The Tower Mezzacapo in Torricella , along the SS 163 ” Coast ” , on the border between the towns of Maiori and Minori, more and vice-regal era and defensive functions and sighting . It ‘ part of the complex of the Castle Miramare (or Mezzacapo , named after the family who had it built ) , from which vaguely resembles the castles of the Loire ;
– The Fountain of the Lions, situated on the seafront of Minori and dating from the eleventh century.
– The Grotto of the Annunciation , located between the towns of Maiori and Minori, along the SS 163 ” Coast ” , was originally worked by the fishermen for the storage of boats. Inside are the remains of an ancient chapel dedicated to Our Lady and a small freshwater lake .